The FAB at CHI workshop offers attendees of CHI 2013 a chance to discuss the relationship between digital fabrication and human-computer interaction (HCI). The workshop will be held on Sunday, April 28th, 2013 in Paris France. It will include discussion sessions and activities led by individual workshop participants (during two 90-minute afternoon sessions). The workshop is organized by David Mellis (MIT Media Lab), Sean Follmer (MIT Media Lab), Bjoern Hartmann (UC-Berkeley), Leah Buechley (MIT Media Lab), and Mark D. Gross (CMU).
Research topics at the intersection of digital fabrication and HCI include:
- design tools for fabrication processes
- fabrication for prototyping interfaces and interaction
- end user design and fabrication of interfaces
- online community support for fabrication
- computational crafts and constructionism
- aesthetic and functional affordance of fabricated objects
For more information, see the extended abstract (pdf).
We welcome submissions on these or related topics. Applications are due by January 18th, 2013 and notifications well be sent by February 1st, 2013. For more information, see the call for participation.